In 2017, the Government of Canada announced it would invest up to $950 million in the Innovation Superclusters Initiative, challenging Canadian businesses of all sizes to collaborate with other innovation actors, including post-secondary and research institutions, to propose ambitious strategies that would transform regional economies and develop job-creating superclusters of innovation.
In February, 2018, the Hon. Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, identified five groups for supercluster funding.
- The Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster
- The Ocean Supercluster (based in Atlantic Canada) will use innovation to improve competitiveness in Canada’s ocean-based industries, including fisheries, oil and gas, and clean energy
- The SCALE.AI Supercluster (based in Quebec) will make Canada a world leading exporter by building intelligent supply chains through artificial intelligence and robotics
- The Protein Industries Supercluster (based in the Prairies) will make Canada a leading source for plant proteins and help feed the world
- The Digital Technology Supercluster (based in British Columbia) will use big data and digital technologies to unlock new potential in important sectors like healthcare, forestry, and manufacturing.
More information on the Government of Canada’s Innovation Supercluster Initiative can be found here.