NGenís Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster strategy will build on the innovation strengths of southern Ontario to help manufacturers across Canada become world leaders in the application of advanced technologies.
It will leverage private and public funding to boost investments in:
- Groundbreaking Process Transformation: Game-changing technologies applied to today's manufacturing;
- High Potential Technology Development: Scaling Ontario technologies used in next generation manufacturing; and
- Ecosystem Development: Creating a network of support and services that accelerate technology adoption in manufacturing, generating new customers and scale-up opportunities for technology firms.
The Supercluster strategy will target:
- Key requirements to be globally competitive in a high-cost economy.
- Innovative product development
- Optimized production processes
- Access to global markets, supply chains, trends and technologies
- Highly skilled and engaged workers
- Customizing support for companies at all life-cycle stages.
- Start-ups: Rapid prototyping and ramp-up to industrial production scales
- SMEs: Product development and process improvement through the application of advanced technologies
- Large companies: Innovation opportunities, supplier and customer development
- Widely recognized challenges.
- Low rates of technology awareness and adoption
- Aversion to risk in adopting/investing in technologies
- Workforce capabilities and capacity for managing technologies
- Heavy reliance on domestic and U.S. markets
- Companies readying for the digital age of manufacturing.
- Focus on the application of advanced technologies
- Foster stronger links between technology research, start-ups, technology providers, and the manufacturing sector
- Manufacturing and technology strengths in key industry sectors.
- Auto, food processing, steel, wood products, materials, new devices
The full program overview can be found on the†Government of Canada's Innovative Superclusters Initiative website.